Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Backpacking in Zions


It all started about 10 years ago when I went to a family reunion in southren Utah and visited Zion's and Bryce National Parks. I loved the red cliffs and rock formations and I was told that you could backpack through incredible canyons. I really wanted to do that, but never got around to it. Then my brother Kevin sent me an email telling me that they had planned a trip and wondering if anyone in our family wanted to join them. So Landon and I packed up and drove 11 hours to St George and met Chad, Kevin, Justus, Marion, Travis, Dallin, Becca, Renae, Matt, Lance, Matt Pruitt, and Jake (our fearless guide who had done the trip before) and we had an amazing experience that we will not forget!


We hiked Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, slept under the stars and a very full moon...I almost wanted to ask someone to turn out the light!

Cooked great meals on our little propane stoves.

































This is a huge blockage caused by flash floods. We had to take off our packs to climb over and down. It was much steeper than it looks.




Fat Man's Misery

On the way out! And Low on Water!















5 comments:

D-dawg said...

MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!! That looks so awesome and beautiful!! What a great trip. I'm so glad you were able to go. It looks like the canyon walls made shade for you - that's good!

Brett said...

Wow that looks like so much fun!! I really want to do that hike! Up and down through those steep canyon walls! Way to go guys!

angie said...

mom! I am so glad that you got to go- the pictures are beautiful! Looks like so much fun!

angie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Chadders said...

Mom - that was a lot of fun! Thanks for coming! Lets plan something cool again soon. What is something else that you have been wanting to do?